Image credit: Henry Ford Health System
October is Breast Cancer Awareness month, and we are here to educate and circulate the top tips and techniques for early recognition, preventative procedures, and success stories. This week we start with a how-to guide for a breast self-exam and where to go for mammograms in Cairo.
According to the National Breast Cancer Foundation, a monthly self-exam can be completed in three steps. First, to begin your breast-health journey, watch this video or follow this link to learn how to detect abnormalities such as lumps, knots, colour, and shape changes. Such an exam is crucial to understanding changes in your body and possible warning signs.
Via UVA Health
The next step would involve a mammogram and a professional exam, if necessary. This type of X-ray can detect abnormalities years before they may be felt by you or your doctor. Here is a list of organisations and clinics that specifically work with women focusing on breast cancer.
- The Breast Cancer Foundation of Egypt provides Egyptian women with information and assistance. Reach the BCFE via the hotline (19417) to arrange a mammogram or enquire about support and other resources.
- Cairo Scan offers radiology services in several areas throughout Cairo. They recommend scheduling a mammogram one week after your period, as your breasts may be more tender later in your cycle.
Follow Cairo Scan on Facebook
Working hours: Saturday – Thursday from 9 am to 10 pm, and Friday from 10 am to 5 pm
Contact via phone: 19144 / WhatsApp: 01272203258 / online
- With locations in Heliopolis, New Cairo, and Nasr City, the Misr Radiology Center provides and utilises state-of-the-art mammography equipment.
Follow MRC on Facebook
Working hours: Daily from 9 am to 11 pm
Contact via phone: 19773 / WhatsApp: 01211114091 / online
- The Cairo Oncology Center in Mohandiseen, Cairo Cure, offers early-detection, diagnosis, and treatment services for various cancers.
Working hours: Saturday – Thursday from 10 am to 10 pm
Contact via phone: 0100 540-5656 / email
- The Cairo Women Imaging Center located in Heliopolis offers diagnostic services performed entirely by female radiologists and technicians.
Follow CWIC on Facebook
Working hours: Saturday – Thursday from 11 am to 10 pm
Contact via phone: 01005816579 / email