Featured image via SWVL
It seems that every few months, if not every month, a cluster of new startups, led by innovative and free-spirited entrepreneurs, are introduced into the market, and we really couldn’t be happier. It fills us with joy, just knowing that there are people out there who are overcoming social and financial barriers to fulfil their passion and achieve what they truly desire as business owners.
In 2017, the Global Entrepreneurship Monitor (GEM) stated that more than 73 per cent of Egyptians think that entrepreneurship is a wise career choice. Therefore, it came as no surprise when we learned that seven local startups were selected to represent Egypt in this year’s Global Entrepreneurship Summit (GES) from the 3rd to the 5th of June at The Hague in the Netherlands! You can find out all the details that you need to know about this prestigious summit on their website under the FAQs section.
In a nutshell, the GES brings together top entrepreneurs, investors, thought leaders, corporate partners, and policymakers, focusing on five critical areas: Agriculture/Food, Connectivity, Energy, Health, and Water. The summit will expose the seven lucky teams to a network of over 1,000 entrepreneurs and 300 investors from all around the world, according to Africazine.
But who are our seven champions, and why were they selected? Last Monday, at a press conference, hosted by the American Chamber of Commerce, U.S. Charge d’Affaires, Thomas Goldberger, stated, “These seven Egyptian companies were selected because of their drive, vision, and readiness to meet the challenge of scaling up regionally and globally to maximise their impact. We look forward to these startups showcasing their accomplishments on the world-wide stage of GES.” As for their names and the nature of their work, Africazine also shares this information, and so we proudly present to you:
- SWVL: An app that allows Egyptians to book fixed-route buses between neighbourhoods for a fixed fare and without surge pricing.
- Elves: An artificial intelligence powered personal concierge app that can do everything from getting items delivered to your front door to booking flights or restaurant reservations.
- Smart Medical Services: A startup that focuses on corporate health care insurance products.
- Breadfast: A food delivery services company that delivers fresh food overnight and to your doorstep.
- Al-Mouneer: Egypt’s first specialised diabetic eye care clinic that helps preserve the vision of Egyptians through specialised quality services.
- Chitosan: A company focusing on developing an organic, safe, and high-quality supply of marine-based chitin and chitosan, which are used in a variety of industries, including pharmaceuticals, to treat high cholesterol and obesity.
- Agrimatic Farms: A startup commercialising an innovative approach to farming, not requiring soil.